videogamesartist.com

visit videogamesartist.com

2006-12-11

Second first job interview in Japan

On Wednesday the 8th of November, I had my second first-job-interview in Japan. This one was at a relatively small development house. The reasons I had applied here quite early on was because the company website had a recruitment page in English, but also because they have made some very unique games in the recent past, the visual style of which I love.

Following the previous day's interview elsewhere, I was a little more nervous. As per usual, I'd arrived at the station nearly half an hour early. So once again, I took to exploring the area a little after I had located the building I needed to go to. When I decided to go inside, I encountered a slight problem: the building had no doorbell! The front door only served a tiny hall with an elevator, so nobody inside could see me standing there either.
Thankfully within a minute or two, an employee of the company arrived and opened the door for me using his swipe-card. I told him I was there for an interview, and he took me upstairs to the relevant floor and let reception know I had arrived. A receptionist showed we where to sit, and not long after four employees arrived to interview me. One of them introduced himself as the English-speaker and said he would translate, to which I (naturally) replied that I would try to speak as much Japanese as I could.

The interview went much better than the one the day before. The questions were numerous and specific, and I was able to understand and use a lot more Japanese, answering a few questions even without the English-speaker's help. It seemed they had already made up their mind to a degree, because they offered me some freelance work as a test to see if my Maya software skills were up to par. Needless to say I accepted that, and the details would be sorted out later.
Again, the interview lasted only about half an hour but this time the result exceeded my expectations: I'd just been offered work by a Japanese game development studio!

The day didn't pass without an awkard moment though. After the interview, I bought some sushi and took a seat in park to eat my lunch. While I was sitting there eating my lunch, I was approached my three plainclothes policemen. Of course I was surprised, helped by the fact that these policemen all looked rather young. Still, their badges looked real enough, their clothes were quite typical for plainclothes police (jeans, sneakers, puffy jackets and hip-bags) and I figured the penalty for impersonating a policeman in this country wouldn't be something a student would risk. They asked to see my alien registration card (a.k.a. gajin card), what I was doing in the area, and if they could search my bag. One man put on a pair of white gloves and had a look. He asked if I had a knife in my bag, to which I could only answer: "Ehh, why?". Anyway, the three men were all polite during the whole routine and thanked me before they took off. Putting things into perspective, I guess it's in a policeman's nature to stop 'n' search minorities, the ones in Japan being no exception.

The friendliness of the Japanese people shone through again not a minute later though, when a cheery old man walking by said "Oishii desu neee?" ("Delicious, isn't it?") while pointing at my tray of sushi.


So what happened with the freelance work I was offered? Did I pass the test? Stay tuned!

No comments: