videogamesartist.com

visit videogamesartist.com

2006-12-06

Plan B

Before coming to Japan, I already had a backup plan to keep me busy while I would be looking for a job here. I had already notified several colleagues and ex-colleagues in other companies that I would be available to do freelance work.

So far, Plan B has been working to a satisfactory degree. I've been doing some work for people in Los Angeles and London, and I've spoken about possible work with someone in Sweden. The work on each little project has been completely different from the others.

One of the companies I've been working with is AirPlay, a mobile games developer started by some ex-colleagues of mine based in London. Their first game, Super Yum Yum, got excellent reviews and was nominated for a BAFTA game award a few years ago. That year they were the only game nominated which didn't carry an existing brand/license. They've recently released Super Yum Yum 2, which is also getting great reviews. Check it out!
As is usual in the games biz, I'm not at liberty to talk about what I've been working on (until it is officially announced by the publisher).

Working with a time difference of 8 to 17 hours (Europe and LA, respectively) turns out to be easier than I'd expected. By the late afternoon, when I'm finishing up my work, Europe gets to work and we discuss the work either using Instant Messenger or Skype. If my employer in Europe decides he wants some other changes, he can always send me an e-mail, knowing it will arrive well before I start my work the next morning.

To anyone reading this who is looking for a freelance artist: I'm still available until the end of January. (There's a hint in there about the status of my jobhunt, but more on that later!)
You'll find my contact details on my CV at videogamesartist.com. =D

No comments: